Monday, May 02, 2011

My hero

Hey guys,
I'm gonna tell you a story. 
A story about this man I know, the BEST man I know.


His story started in 1973. 15th of  May. A day after his father died.
Suddenly he had 6 mouths to feed. All hopes of a college education dashed away.
Sacrifice. Something, if not the best thing I learnt from this man.
He toiled, worked hard, day and night. Put his brother and 4 sisters through school. Reclaimed the house his father built for him.

This man.. this man was a romantic. A hopeless one. He met the love of his life that very year. 23rd September 1973. She was 15. Dark, beautiful soft hearted. Now I can't tell you if it was love at first sight, I don't know..but it was love. I know. He lived in a tiny rural area of Malaya and she lived in a rural, tiny area in a small island known as Singapore. Thus begun the courtship of this man and his beautiful lady. Letters were written, plenty, in the sweetest of languages, the softest of intentions. Our hero saved up every other month to take a 11 hour (back in those days) trip down to Singapore to see his beautiful lady for a weekend.. this went on for 13 years.

13 years. On the 20th of October 19 1986. This brave man, left his family, his friends, his job, his life to move down to Singapore to marry the girl of his dreams...and that he did. Whatever money he made he made it a point to send some back to his mother and siblings. He was living in a tiny 2 room apartment in Hougang with just enough money to support himself and his wife. Till this day, this very day he smiles whenever he thinks about that house. "Best time of my life" he says.

When the time was right he started a family with his wife. Two children. A son to carry on the name and a beautiful little girl to spoil rotten. He's sang to them, played with them, disciplined them, when necessary. He learnt how to be a father, a father he never had, overnight. Everything, every opportunity he got to make them happy he took it. He was not a wealthy man, no that was never the case, but his wife and children, he treated like royalty.

This is a story of a simple man.
A humble, quiet and respectful man.

This is the story of the best man I will ever come to know.

My father


I write this simply because I want everyone of you to know that my dad is the best dad in the world.
I write this not because it his birthday or father's day or any significant event..
I write this simply because on a random monday evening, I want to tell the whole world that I have the best dad in the world.

Love you Dad,
You're my Hero.



and i'm sorry about drinking your coke last night.