Monday, June 28, 2010

Welcome to the real world.

Hey guys,

Ok its week 3 into my Office job.
Yep.
Still sucks.

You see i've been drifting in and out of my days in the office and i can't help but draw parallels between this new life that I've come across and the life i had just left beind: The Army.

See the Army was the most defining part of my existence to date, save from falling in love and well.. shaving. As such today, when i was walking around Raffles place delivering couriers and such i got to thinking. I've actually adapted myself to this daily drone of a life.

For a starters, its the way i dress. I mean to most  people, office attire is nothing different i presume. For ladies its as simple as a presentable dress or a blouse and pants. For the men however comes the pressed pants and long sleeved shirt coupled with a nice pair of proper shoes and a tie to tie the look together. For me this was hell.

Boots were tough enough, trust me. In 2007 when i first got my combat boots it was like wearing leather blocks. eventually, over the next two years, my boots were second skin. I could swim in them (not advisable...really). Same thing with these new pair of shoes i'm wearing everyday. I'm actually getting used to it. I hated wearing proper shoes (man-heels as my friend Jonathan would have it) now i can walk all the way from one end of raffles to the other with ease.

In the army, i could strip and assemble my rifle like it was second nature (it actually was come to think of it). In the field we had nothing to do to pass our time (iPods are good for only 10 hrs) so we just cleaned and cleaned our gear. Here, in the office its the same. No rifles here, instead we have the dreaded photocopy machine.

You may laugh. "Pffft... idiot don't know how to use a photocopier is it?" you may say. We don't only use it. We have to manipulate it. I have to print double to single, single to double and single to single in 3 different colored papers spread over 3 trays... and then copy all these again. Trust me, i have seen 18 million dollar tanks operate in simpler ways. Today, after three weeks of a hive mind environment, i find that i do all these with an obscene efficiency true to that of an utilitarian office slave. I can troubleshoot and clean the damn machine now, when printing scripts was a herculean chore but a month ago.

Here's what really made me miss the army. The people. Its the same. You have the hard-workers, the slackers, the bossy one, the actual boss and everything in between. The only difference is EVERYTHING IS SO SILENT IN THE BLOODY OFFICE. I mean i'm used to shouting " EH KINeh! Char Peng! FaAAARKING HUNGRY MAN!" at the top of my lungs to anyone in earshot of me, in camp. Here, in the office, i have to literally  whisper, with a polite smile i must add, "hey guys, lunch?" which would be followed by a chorus of "later" and "ah?" at a decibel that was not meant for human ears to pick up.

Honestly tho ONLY good thing i can get out of work is that the women are HOT! Like seriously. I mean DAMN! They dress like its freaking christmas everyday la! Nobody gives a damn about the guys, we all look the same. Women on the other hand..

Hey then again, i'm drawing parallels against the army here.. anyone wearing any color but green would probably look bangin'

Which just voided the only good thing i could think of about work.


fuck.